Re: AI-GEOSTATS: GAM and geostat

  • Edzer J. Pebesma
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2004
      I don't know of articles where they used both, and compared them.

      One issue with GAM's, at least if you fit GAM's using coordinates as
      predictor variables, is that the predictions depend on the direction
      of x and y: if you rotate x and y 45 degrees clockwise, a different
      prediction surface arises because GAM's cannot address the
      interaction for x and y. The problem vanishes if you use 2D splines.
      --
      Edzer