AI-GEOSTATS: GAM and geostat

  • mrufino@cmima.csic.es
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 15, 2004
      Dear colleges,

      I am looking for references that compare the results of geostatistical
      estimations and generalized additive models?

      Could anyone clarify me a little in this point?
      I am sorry for my naif question, but I have seen articles where they use the
      GAM model to predict unsampled locations, like we do in kriging... so I was
      thinking (besides the independence of data assumptions) what differences may
      arrise from it?

      thank you very much
      Best wishes
      Marta

    • Edzer J. Pebesma
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2004
        I don't know of articles where they used both, and compared them.

        One issue with GAM's, at least if you fit GAM's using coordinates as
        predictor variables, is that the predictions depend on the direction
        of x and y: if you rotate x and y 45 degrees clockwise, a different
        prediction surface arises because GAM's cannot address the
        interaction for x and y. The problem vanishes if you use 2D splines.
        --
        Edzer