AI-GEOSTATS: transportation cost study

  • Basanta Dhungana
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31 12:35 PM
      Hi,
      I have just started learning this geostatistic and ArcGIS tool recently. I have the following problem to analyse for which I am looking for your help.

      (1) I have four maps: (a) state route map- polylines shape file (arc) (b) state hiways map -polylines shape file (c) raster grid map of agricultural land cover at 2000m*200m ground resolution for the entire state, and (d) point map (190 points).

      First I want to find out the least cost path to transport products from each center of land cover grid to any one of the plant using the existing road networks (i.e. state routes and state highways). Second, I want to compute the least cost given the constant transportation cost per mile for each metric ton of products.

      I have been advised to use cost weighted distance aproach using spatial analyst in ArcGIS 8.x. But I am completely lost since I can not see nice example and documentation in the help menu. I am posting this to this forum members with the hope of getting detail steps / strategies that I need to take to come up with solution. Any reference is highly appreciated.