Re: AI-GEOSTATS: estimation with biased data- SUMMARY

  • john walter
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30 4:28 PM
      Thank you for the prompt responses to my question. I have posted a summary
      of the responses below.

      Thank you.

      John Walter

      Donald E. Myers wrote

      There are a couple of underlying assumptions that are critical, you will then
      have to ask how your problem/application relates to those.
      1. The data is considered to be a non-random sample from one realization of a
      random function.
      Hence "probability basis" as it relates to the design of a sample
      pattern is not relevant. "Pattern" in this case pertains to the data
      locations, not the distribution of values
      2. The random function must satisfy certain stationarity assumptions
      a. if you use a covariance and Simple Kriging then you need second order
      stationarity
      b. if you use a variogram and Ordinary Kriging then you need
      "instrinsic" stationarity
      c. In the case that the mean function(of the random function, this is
      theoretically the same as a trend surface but is sometime estimated
      by a trend surface) is a polynomial function of the position
      coordinates then you need either second order or intrinsic
      stationarity of the residuals. You can either use Universal Kriging
      or one of the above (the latter on the residuals)
      Now some practical as well as theoretical questions and problems
      A. What do you mean by "biased" data? In general in statistics, bias
      pertain to
      an estimator, i.e., when the expected value of the estimator is not the
      same as
      the quantity being estimated (estimator, not "estimate"). Authors will
      sometimes use the word in an intuitive sense but this is not very precise
      and is
      hard to either check or utilize.
      B. The Kriging estimator (any of the above three types) already compensates
      somewhat for clustering in the data locations. Unlike inverse distance
      weighting, when there are two data locations close together the weights are
      decreased on each location.
      C. Now there are aspects of the frequency distribution of the data that
      have an
      effect. The sample variogram is an average of squared differences, hence a
      skewed distribution can distort the sample variogram. Likewise the Kriging
      estimator is a weighted average and averages in general are sensitive to a few
      "outliers". This is why it is sometimes useful or necessary to use a
      non-linear
      transform such as the logarithm. That is a big discussion in itself.
      There are no distributional assumptions implicit in the derivation of
      the kriging equations.
      D. The Kriging estimator is always unbiased (separately at each location where
      you want an estimate). That is, the equations for the coefficients in kriging
      estimator are derived under the constraint of unbiasedness. This is
      probably not
      the same as an intuitive idea of unbiasedness.
      E. Any valid choice of the variogram/covariance function will result in a
      unique
      solution for the kriging equations (valid means that the variogram is
      conditionally negative definite or that the covariance function is positive
      definite). However the solution and hence the estimated values are affected by
      the choice of the variogram/covariance function, hence it is important to fit
      the model well. In practice you will use a search neighborhood and the results
      can be sensitive to the search neighborhood parameters.
      The problem alluded to by Cressie is related to some tendency to change the
      sampling design based on the data collected, i.e., when they found high grades
      they tended to drill more exploratory holes nearby and when they found low
      grades they tended to not drill more exploratory holes nearby. Thus they
      altered
      the distribution of the grades by the sampling plan.
      Finally, note that a "good" sampling plan for kriging is not the same as a
      "good" sampling plan for estimating and modeling the variogram or covariance
      function. There are quite a number of papers in the literature on both of
      these
      issues but no absolute solution.
      Donald E. Myers
      http://www.u.arizona.edu/*donaldm

      Isobel Clark wrote

      When I saw the title of your email, I thought you
      would be talking about data which was incorrectly
      measured -- that is what we generally understand as
      'bias'. For example, in the gold mines, the method of
      determining how much gold is in a sample can be
      consistently lower than the real value (or higher!).
      Your problem seems to be in non-uniform (or
      non-random) sampling with respect to both location and
      value. Clustered/preferential sampling is not a
      problem with ordinary geostatistics but can become one
      if you use one of the mechanical transformation
      methods such as 'normal score' or rank order transform
      since these really on 'random' sampling with respect
      to value in order to get a representative histogram.
      Using a lognormal or other parametric transform is not
      affected by these problems unless the preferential
      sampling is excessive.
      Kriging estimates deal with the clustering and
      preferential sampling provided you have either used a
      parametric transform or have declustered before your
      score or rank transform. So you should get unbiassed
      answers for your overall parameters.
      Hope this helps some
      Isobel