AI-GEOSTATS: I'm new

  • guidichi@Argentina.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 30, 2004
      Hello list,
      My name is Guido Sagasti. I'm from Rosario City (Argentina) and I'm studying
      Statistics at the university. My english isn't the best, as you'll see or
      you can see now.
      I'm here because I'm interested in Spatial Statistics (Geostatistics, autoregresive
      models, spatial interpolation, etc.). I'm not read a lot about the subject
      and don't have a lot of material about it (It's not developed here - we
      don't have spatial statistics at University but the statistic and mathematical
      formation is very strong and I think I can handle with it)
      I want to know if there is material for principiants in the subject in the
      internet.
      In spite of my poor experience about spatial statistics, I'm 100% aviable
      for everyone.

      Thanks
      Guido Sagasti.

      --------
      E-mail y acceso a Internet UltraVeloz totalmente GRATIS en Buenos Aires,
      Rosario, Cordoba, Mendoza, La Plata y Pilar
      http://www.Argentina.com
      Nro. de acceso 5078-5000 Usuario: Argentina Password: Argentina

    • Gregoire Dubois
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 30, 2004
        Hi Guido,

        As Pierre wrote, I have put some material on the web site of
        AI-GEOSTATS:

        1) Frequently Asked Questions (See FAQs)

        2) Links to papers published online (mainly conference proceedings but I
        linked only those I found of a good quality). You could also check
        www.scirus.com : you will get for free hundreds of recent peer reviewed
        paper for free in a pdf format.

        3) Software. All software for geostatistics have a similar architecture.
        Try Geoeas & Variowin (free) until you become confident with words like
        semivariogram, covariance, kriging, block kriging. There if
        unfortunately no manual for Variowin. I will ask Yvan Pannatier (the
        author of Variowin) if there is any way to get an electronic copy of his
        book (out of print since a few years) or of the help file that I can put
        on the ai-geostats web site. There is nothing else available now and it
        is much needed. I think this is the best way to have an idea on what the
        whole is about. The software mentioned above can be downloaded for free
        and there are plenty of other tools for more advanced geostatistics.

        4) Last but not least, the archives of ai-geostats (see web site for
        links) are a goldmine thanks to the kings and queens of geostatistics
        who constantly gave all these years the best support one would dream
        about.

        Welcome to ai-geostats and good luck !

        Gregoire

[...]

        * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary

      • Mark Dowdall
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
          Hello

          This is a newbie question but I have been all over the Faqs and cannot
          find an answer.

          Any help is appreciated and a summary of answers will be posted.

          I have a set of data that was taken over a particular area. I have
          kriged and contoured and am happy with the results.

          But I need to demonstrate, within the bounds of the
          study/analysis/assumptions, that the number of samples taken was
          sufficient to describe the area.

          So my plan was to demonstrate that for a cetain number of samples the
          variance in the estimates had reached a value that could not be reduced
          efefctively by increasing sample number.

          And I thought this could be done by eliminating at random a point (so I
          have x-1 data points), kriging the remainder with the chosen parameters
          and checking the relevant parameters. (x is the number of actual
          samples)

          Then eliminating two points at random (x-2), repeating and so on.
          Eventually only 1 point being left.

          But.....if I eliminate the first point at random, does it matter which
          point is eliminated? Or in the first instance (x-1 points) should I do
          the process for all possible samples and take an average of the
          estimation uncertainty?

          I am using GEOEAS and this could take a long time as all possible
          permutations of for example x-20 could be quite large.

          I did download Explostat which has a feature that sems to do this
          automatically but the manual is not great and the software is a little
          impenetrable.

          If anyone can shed light on this I would be most grateful.

          Thanks in advance

          M.dowdall

          Ie.

          * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary

          * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary

        • Koen Hufkens
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
            > 3) Software. All software for geostatistics have a similar architecture.
            > Try Geoeas & Variowin (free) until you become confident with words like
            > semivariogram, covariance, kriging, block kriging. There if
            > unfortunately no manual for Variowin. I will ask Yvan Pannatier (the
            > author of Variowin) if there is any way to get an electronic copy of his
            > book (out of print since a few years) or of the help file that I can put
            > on the ai-geostats web site. There is nothing else available now and it
            > is much needed. I think this is the best way to have an idea on what the
            > whole is about. The software mentioned above can be downloaded for free
            > and there are plenty of other tools for more advanced geostatistics.

            I never used variowin but it seems quite nice, and more important free!

            Here is a introduction to variowin:

            http://sal.agecon.uiuc.edu/csiss/pdf/variowin.pdf

            There should be more on the net if you look for it, I think...

            If you need automatisation of certain procedures look into R and the
            following packages:

            -spatstat
            -geoR
            -sgeostat
            -spdep
            -gstat (can also be used as stand alone program)

            All this software is open sourced and freely available!

            It made my repetitive work very easy.

            Best regards,
            Koen

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2004
              Hi Mark,

              For each number of samples you wish to eliminate,
              you really need to repeat the sampling many times in order
              to account for sampling fluctuations in the assessment
              of prediction performances.
              The procedure need to be automated and you won't avoid
              having to modify a program (i.e. Gslib kt3d whose source code
              is distributed freely) to implement the hundreds or thousands of
              run needed for a thorough analysis. Just as an illustration
              of the kind of fluctuations you can expect if you select
              randomly 100 subsets of the same size, look at the following
              paper that can be downloaded from my webpage:

              Saito, H. and P. Goovaerts. 2000. Geostatistical interpolation of
              positively skewed and censored data in a dioxin contaminated site.
              Environmental Science & Technology, vol.34, No.19: 4228-4235.

              Regards,

              Pierre

              Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
              President of PGeostat, LLC