AI-GEOSTATS: regression based on distance

  • Jozsef.Fabian@office.ksh.hu
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2004
      Dear list,

      my collegue is dealing with economical potential of towns in NE Hungary.

      I have two questions in connection with supporting his works with GIS
      programming: I have calculated distances between the towns in straight
      line, and calculated the time needed to reach one town from an other
      across road network using traffic speed restrictions on road categories.

      My first question is: Is there any sense to look after regression (there
      is a linear dependence) between the calculated distances from a town to
      the nearest highway and the economic potential? I have not read about
      spatial regression calculated on distance and a random variable other
      than geostatistical approach.

      My other problem is: We have two data sequences for the calculated
      "economic potential". I would like to calculate a measure to compare the
      two mapped datasets. I am interested in mainly those places where the
      two datasets have significantly different trends, i.e. some kind of
      local regression between them.
      I could map simple the difference between them, but the measures (one in
      km, the other is in minutes) are not comparable even in magnitude.
      I have scaled them to 100 and mapped the difference of the scaled data,
      but I am not sure wheter this calculation has any sense.

      Could someone offer me a method to calculate a measure for locally
      comparing the two mapped datasets, please, and some points to
      publications in the theme?

      Thank you in advance
      Jozsef Fabian