AI-GEOSTATS: Correlation between two variables and spatial dependence

  • Koen Hufkens
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2004
      Dear list,

      A friend read a statement in an article but she was wondering if it was
      correct.

      Statement:

      To calculate a "normal" correlation between two variables, the variables
      shouldn't be spatially dependent. Meaning variables z1 and z2 don't
      exhibit any spatial dependence and the variables could be considered
      random distributed across a sample grid x,y. Only under these conditions
      the normal correlation coeff. and statistics could be used.

      Any input on this?

      And what if there is spatial dependence?

      I hope it makes a little sense, I didn't have access to the article itself
      so I had to do it with a simple explanation of my friend.

      Best regards,

      Koen.