AI-GEOSTATS: Geostatistics for optimal spatial resolution

  • Henny Mehner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 23, 2004
      I am trying to use ground data (measured over a support of a radius of
      2.5 cm) to obtain the optimal spatial resolution of satellite imagery
      for monitoring such site. I have found two approaches to do so, but
      struggle to decide which one is the more suitable one:
      1) calculate a semi-variogram of my ground data and use the range of the
      semi-variogram as guide for the optimal spatial resolution of my
      application
      2) regularise my data to different potential spatial resolution of
      imagery and create a variogram for each spatial resolution. Then plot
      the semivariance of a lag of 1 unit over the different spatial
      resolution and use the spatial resolution of the greatest variance as
      guide for the optimal spatial resolution.
      I am expecting a optimal spatial resolution somewhere between 2 and 5 m,
      so I assume that a support of 5 cm can be seen as a quasi-point support.

      If anybody could help me out which of the two methods is the more
      suitable or reliable, I would be most grateful.
      Thanks Henny

      Henny Mehner
      University of Newcastle
      School of Civil Engineering & Geosciences