Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Microgeostatistics

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
      Steven,

      There have been several papers published about the application of
      geostatistics to microbiology (e.g. Rossi, Robertson, or Webster),
      and several of them are listed in the review paper that you can download
      from my webpage
      (http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/publication.html):

      Goovaerts, P. 1998. Geostatistical tools for characterizing the spatial
      variability of microbiological and physico-chemical soil properties.
      Biology and Fertility of Soils, 27(4): 315-334.

      I also remember a study where geostatistics has been used to study
      the spatial distribution of bugs on the roots of a plant. Of course,
      multiple studies have dealt with the study of miscroscopic imagery,
      including the one I presented at a recent conference on analysis
      software for microscopy imagery (see pdf slides at
      http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/publication.html)

      Hope it helps,

      Pierre

      Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
      President of PGeostat, LLC
      Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
      710 Ridgemont Lane
      Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

      E-mail: goovaert@...
      Phone: (734) 668-9900
      Fax: (734) 668-7788

      On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Steven Rogers wrote:

      > Hi list members,
      >

      > I'm working in microbial ecology and am interested in finding
      > information about spatial analysis or interpolation at extremely small
      > scales (millimeters, microns, etc.)., especially as related to survival
      > and fitness of microorganisms. I've coined the term,
      > "microgeostatistics" to describe this subject. I could be wrong, but it
      > seems like there is comparatively little information on this general
      > area.
      >

      > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
      >

      > Steven Rogers
      >
      > Ecostat, Inc.

    • Gregoire Dubois
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
        A few mails with the word SPAM in the subject seem to have been lost for
        archiving due to spam filtering... please check the subjects of your mails
        before posting.

        My 2 cents words about microgeostatistics. The scale at which geostatistics is
        applied to should not affect the method at all. It is used in astronomy as
        well as in microbiology. You will find plenty of recent peer-reviewd material
        available on line at www.scirus.com

        Using the keywords geostatistics and microbial, I got 73 results from which a
        few can be downloaded (if published after 2001 or 2002, depending on the
        journal). Here are a few recent publications that may help:

        Rima B. Franklin and Aaron L. Mills, Multi-scale variation in spatial
        heterogeneity for microbial community structure in an eastern Virginia
        agricultural field, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Volume 44, Issue 3, 1 June
        2003, Pages 335-346.
        (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6T2V-4893WPF-2/2/29c771f1232f5625e4088f4abc6968ff)

        Rima B. Franklin, Linda K. Blum, Alison C. McComb and Aaron L. Mills, A
        geostatistical analysis of small-scale spatial variability in bacterial
        abundance and community structure in salt marsh creek bank sediments, FEMS
        Microbiology Ecology, Volume 42, Issue 1, October 2002, Pages 71-80.
        (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6T2V-46F6G57-1/2/42ca72fa78f107859ff92304c9c2c8ff)

        Naoise Nunan, Kejian Wu, Iain M. Young, John W. Crawford and Karl Ritz,
        Spatial distribution of bacterial communities and their relationships with the
        micro-architecture of soil, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Volume 44, Issue 2, 15
        May 2003, Pages 203-215.
        (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6T2V-47TNGW4-2/2/1a3dd977cc5cb639ec6f0d9af9a41f1c)

        Douglas P. Collins, Barry J. Jacobsen and Bruce Maxwell, Spatial and temporal
        population dynamics of a phyllosphere colonizing Bacillus subtilis biological
        control agent of sugar beet cercospora leaf spot, Biological Control, Volume
        26, Issue 3, March 2003, Pages 224-232.
        (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6WBP-47MK74W-5/2/5a8b2a908cf575edff4e54bc0de83cb4)

        Peter Saetre and Erland Bååth, Spatial variation and patterns of soil
        microbial community structure in a mixed spruce-birch stand, Soil Biology and
        Biochemistry, Volume 32, Issue 7, 1 July 2000, Pages 909-917.
        (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6TC7-40CRNR0-3/2/18bc769e28187ade18250a32ac7785fa)

        There are other I didn't paste here.

        Hope this helps a bit,

        Gregoire

      • steve@stever.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
          Hi List Members,

          Many thanks to the list members responding to my post!
          I'll collect all your comments together along with some
          additional info from my background research and
          summarize in a follow-up post later this week.

          Steven Rogers
          Ecostat, Inc.