RE: AI-GEOSTATS: Microgeostatistics

  • Rajive Ganguli, Ph.D., P.E., C.O.I
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
      Steven,

      The concepts used in spatial statistics are not dependent on absolute
      magnitude. Therefore, they should apply at the micro level.

      PS: Their applicaton at the micro-level will (still) require that the
      fundamental assumptions of each technique (such as stationarity issues etc)
      are valid for your problem. You are the best judge of that.

      Rajive Ganguli, Ph.D., P.E., C.O.I
      Associate Professor of Mining Engineering
      University of Alaska Fairbanks
      ================================
      Office: 317 Duckering Building
      Mailing Add: Box 755800, Fairbanks, AK 99775
      ph: 907-474-7631, fax: 907-474-6635
      web: http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrg/
      "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather
      than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
        Steven,

        There have been several papers published about the application of
        geostatistics to microbiology (e.g. Rossi, Robertson, or Webster),
        and several of them are listed in the review paper that you can download
        from my webpage
        (http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/publication.html):

        Goovaerts, P. 1998. Geostatistical tools for characterizing the spatial
        variability of microbiological and physico-chemical soil properties.
        Biology and Fertility of Soils, 27(4): 315-334.

        I also remember a study where geostatistics has been used to study
        the spatial distribution of bugs on the roots of a plant. Of course,
        multiple studies have dealt with the study of miscroscopic imagery,
        including the one I presented at a recent conference on analysis
        software for microscopy imagery (see pdf slides at
        http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~goovaert/publication.html)

        Hope it helps,

        Pierre

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
        President of PGeostat, LLC
        Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
        710 Ridgemont Lane
        Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

        E-mail: goovaert@...
        Phone: (734) 668-9900
        Fax: (734) 668-7788

        On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Steven Rogers wrote:

        > Hi list members,
        >

        > I'm working in microbial ecology and am interested in finding
        > information about spatial analysis or interpolation at extremely small
        > scales (millimeters, microns, etc.)., especially as related to survival
        > and fitness of microorganisms. I've coined the term,
        > "microgeostatistics" to describe this subject. I could be wrong, but it
        > seems like there is comparatively little information on this general
        > area.
        >

        > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
        >

        > Steven Rogers
        >
        > Ecostat, Inc.

      • Gregoire Dubois
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
          A few mails with the word SPAM in the subject seem to have been lost for
          archiving due to spam filtering... please check the subjects of your mails
          before posting.

          My 2 cents words about microgeostatistics. The scale at which geostatistics is
          applied to should not affect the method at all. It is used in astronomy as
          well as in microbiology. You will find plenty of recent peer-reviewd material
          available on line at www.scirus.com

          Using the keywords geostatistics and microbial, I got 73 results from which a
          few can be downloaded (if published after 2001 or 2002, depending on the
          journal). Here are a few recent publications that may help:

          Rima B. Franklin and Aaron L. Mills, Multi-scale variation in spatial
          heterogeneity for microbial community structure in an eastern Virginia
          agricultural field, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Volume 44, Issue 3, 1 June
          2003, Pages 335-346.
          (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6T2V-4893WPF-2/2/29c771f1232f5625e4088f4abc6968ff)

          Rima B. Franklin, Linda K. Blum, Alison C. McComb and Aaron L. Mills, A
          geostatistical analysis of small-scale spatial variability in bacterial
          abundance and community structure in salt marsh creek bank sediments, FEMS
          Microbiology Ecology, Volume 42, Issue 1, October 2002, Pages 71-80.
          (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6T2V-46F6G57-1/2/42ca72fa78f107859ff92304c9c2c8ff)

          Naoise Nunan, Kejian Wu, Iain M. Young, John W. Crawford and Karl Ritz,
          Spatial distribution of bacterial communities and their relationships with the
          micro-architecture of soil, FEMS Microbiology Ecology, Volume 44, Issue 2, 15
          May 2003, Pages 203-215.
          (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6T2V-47TNGW4-2/2/1a3dd977cc5cb639ec6f0d9af9a41f1c)

          Douglas P. Collins, Barry J. Jacobsen and Bruce Maxwell, Spatial and temporal
          population dynamics of a phyllosphere colonizing Bacillus subtilis biological
          control agent of sugar beet cercospora leaf spot, Biological Control, Volume
          26, Issue 3, March 2003, Pages 224-232.
          (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6WBP-47MK74W-5/2/5a8b2a908cf575edff4e54bc0de83cb4)

          Peter Saetre and Erland Bååth, Spatial variation and patterns of soil
          microbial community structure in a mixed spruce-birch stand, Soil Biology and
          Biochemistry, Volume 32, Issue 7, 1 July 2000, Pages 909-917.
          (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/B6TC7-40CRNR0-3/2/18bc769e28187ade18250a32ac7785fa)

          There are other I didn't paste here.

          Hope this helps a bit,

          Gregoire

        • steve@stever.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2004
            Hi List Members,

            Many thanks to the list members responding to my post!
            I'll collect all your comments together along with some
            additional info from my background research and
            summarize in a follow-up post later this week.

            Steven Rogers
            Ecostat, Inc.