AI-GEOSTATS: point-elevation-kriging

  • Ines
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
      Dear List Members

      I have got 500.000 elevation points, whose derive by the vector numeric raw data to points data transformation:

      I would like to use kriging interpolator, but I have three problems:

      - can I consider my data regular or irregular spaced , see figure above, ?

      - Which LAG SIZE and LAG number can I use?

      - Which Kriging do you adviced me, considering that my data presents a second order trend and to normalize the data I have to apply a log transformation?

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5, 2004
        Ines

        Thank you for your clear description of your problem.

        Your data is irregularly spaced. Your 'natural'
        interval for lag would be the closest inter-contour
        distance.

        Lognormal universal kriging seems to be the obvious
        answer to your kriging question. The back transform
        for lognormal kriging with trend has been validated by
        top experts such as Noel Cressie, since 1998.

        If you need to assess the 'uncertainty' or confidence
        on your maps, lognormal sequential simulation is very
        simple on this basis.

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/course_brochure.htm