AI-GEOSTATS: Moran's I and fixing the boundary

  • Christof Bigler
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2004
      I want to calculate Moran's I for a grid-based fire severity data set.
      Within the burned, contiguous area, we have 1 = low severity to 4 =
      high severity. The objective is to assess the distance within which
      neighbor cells affect a grid cell.
      Now, the problem with the unburned area outside the burned area arises.
      If I arbitrarily fix an outer boundary and include the grid cells with
      unburned area and code them as 0, the area consists of about 25% burned
      and 75% unburned area. However, the calculated Moran's I increases
      strongly compared to when the unburned area is excluded from the
      analysis.
      How would you proceed in such a case, including or excluding the
      unburned area?

      Thanks for your opinions.

      Christof