AI-GEOSTATS: How to get central tendency estimate with only 2 events?

  • marc.ouellette@mnr.gov.on.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2004
      Hi All,

      I am trying to determine a good central tendency estimate of the time
      interval between events that could occur probabilistically over a fixed time
      period. Once an event occurs another event cannot occur until after a lag
      period. (Total period is 20 times the length of lag period).

      If only one even occurs then there is not enough data to estimate a mean
      value. If multiple events occur, we can estimate mean/median/mode.

      But if only 2 events occur (for example, at the 5th and 20th years, there is
      only one real interval, which would be 15 yrs) what would be the best
      estimate of the interval?

      Best Regards,
      Marc

      Marc Ouellette