AI-GEOSTATS: Project proposal - flood risk

  • Norrie, Gordon
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2004
      Dear List Members,

      I am just writing a quick mail to ask if anyone is aware of a paper by Kyriakidis, P., Shortridge, A, and Goodchild, M.F. published in the International Journal for Geographical Information Science in 1999. That paper which related to use of simple co-kriging in the production of high accuracy hard elevation reference surface DEM from the conflation of two data sets, one high accuracy, comprising of a number of spot elevation points at relatively sparse locations, and a lower accuracy elevation data set, but which has a far denser coverage of the study area (about 200 times the amount of data as the hard spot elevation data).

      That study focused upon an area which consisted of greatly varying terrain and elevation, but I am seeking to apply that methodology to two data sets which are located in a flood plain and the immediate surrounds at a town in East Sussex, which has suffered badly as a result of flooding. The aim is to use high accuracy DGPS surveying points to work out elevation at a number of points in and around the floodplain. That is to act as the 'hard data' and is to be conflated with a set of lower accuracy IfSAR data, with a resolution of 5m. The idea is to produce a number of different hard elevation reference surfaces, which are to represent an increased accuracy in terms of the DEM, and over which either a flood innundation model can be run, or a simple flooding alrgorithm run in software such as Erdas Imagine. This would provide a form of stochastic modelling, providing a number of flood footprints. Using MasterMap data from the OS, I am seeking to assign risk in terms of percentage likelihood a property object is flooded, based upon the number of flood footprints that the property falls into.

      If someone is aware of this paper, my main question is to ask whether you think the project is feasible, or whether you can think of any problems, bearing in mind the significant difference in the nature of the datasets used by the authors of the paper, and that proposed to be used by myself ? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

      Many thanks for your time.

      Best regards,

      Gordon Norrie

      This email may contain privileged/confidential information.
      It is intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed.
      If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy, deliver or disclose the content of this message to anyone.
      In such case please destroy/delete the message immediately and notify the sender by reply email.
      Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that does not relate to the official business of Sevenoaks District Council shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the Council.

      Visit the Council at WWW.SEVENOAKS.GOV.UK
      This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.

    • Eric Delmelle
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2004
        Dear all
        This does not relate directly to the previous email.
        One of the questions that strike my interest across the many emails on the
        use of kriging and DEM is its legitimate use. It seems to me that when the
        elevation set is greatly varying (with huge difference of altitude at
        specific locations) that this will automatically influence the covariogram.
        Especially in mountain areas, huge altitude differences can occur at small
        lag distances, leading to hign semivariance values at very short distances.
        Did anyone come across some litterature on this issue?
        Regards, --ERic Delmelle.