AI-GEOSTATS: Neural Networks in GIS/RS

  • Craig Von Hagen
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
      Hi,

      Sorry for the cross-post.

      I am looking for literature sources of examples of research done in GIS/RS
      using neural networks or artificial intelligence.
      I am doing my PHD study and part of it will be to try and identify areas of
      vulnerability by combining socio-economic data, census data and landcover
      information. I would like to use neural networks to try and map these areas.
      Could someone perhaps recommend some software as well.
      I have done a google search and there is a lot of information to sift
      through, but I'd like to find out from the GIS and spatial statistics
      community first hand.

      Thanks
      Craig

      Craig von Hagen

      FAO-Africover
      PO Box 30470
      Nairobi, 00100
      Kenya

      Tel: +254 20 4443331
      Fax: +254 20 4441993
      Website: www.africover.org

    • Harris, Allan
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
        Craig

        Try http://www.spss.com and do a search on the word "neural"

        Good Luck!!!!!!!!

        Allan C. Harris - Environmental Engineer
        Operations Assurance Services (OAS)
        US Department of Energy - Fernald Closure Project
        P.O. Box 538704 MS45
        Cincinnati, Ohio 45253-8704
        work 513.648.3184; fax 513.648.3077
        mobile 513.266.2886
        Email Allan.Harris@...

        "The Ultimate Inspiration Is The Deadline!"

[...]

        ******************** DISCLAIMER ********************
        the views of the company.

      • Rajive Ganguli, Ph.D., P.E., C.O.I
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2004
          Craig,

          I have done some work with neural networks in the spatial arena. Here is a
          link to one of my papers that was recently accepted by CIM Bulletin (Journal
          of Exploration Geology).

          http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrg/papers/nomepap_modi_revise.zip

          The other papers (not in spatial stat) that I did which you might find
          useful (and where some of the concepts I talk about are first presented):

          http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrg/papers/Paper_SME_2003.pdf
          http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrg/papers/Paper_CAMI2003.pdf

          As regards software, I have used Neuroshell2 (www.wardsystems.com) and found
          it easy to use. I also write my own code if necessary.

          Rajive Ganguli, Ph.D., P.E., C.O.I
          Associate Professor of Mining Engineering
          University of Alaska Fairbanks
          Office: 317 Duckering Building
          Mailing Add: Box 755800, Fairbanks, AK 99775
          ph: 907-474-7631, fax: 907-474-6635
          web: http://www.faculty.uaf.edu/ffrg/
          "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather
          than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)