Re: Lognormal data. RE: AI-GEOSTATS: Variogram behaviour

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2001
      > ..... you can just use the MLE estimator of the
      > lognormal mean, the (Finney-)Sichel estimator that
      > you mentioned, to obtain
      > the point estimate, and the theory and tables in
      > Land (1975, Tables of
      > confidence limits for linear functions of the normal
      > mean and variance,
      > Selected Tables in Mathematical Statistics, vol.
      > III, Am. Math. Soc.
      > Providence, pages: 385-419) to obtain the asymmetric
      > confidence interval.
      I am unfamiliar with these tables as most
      practitioners that I know us Sichel's original tables
      (or mine). Computational methods are discussed fully
      in my 1987 paper in the SAIMM, cf.
      http://uk.geocities.com/drisobelclark/resume/Publications.html

      > This
      > solution might not be popular among members of the
      > list, however, since it
      > involves abandoning the spatial analysis.
      Ruben, I think you do all of us a great injustice with
      this statement. The members of this list are here
      because they want free communication and to find the
      best solutions to their problems.

      There are sectors of the geostatistical community who
      are rabidly opposed to classical statistical
      approaches and other non-geostat methods. However, I
      have yet to see them contribute to the discussions in
      this list.

      Isobel Clark
      (self styled sceptic)