AI-GEOSTATS: Deadline for abstracts of IGC32
- This is a reminder about the deadline for the submission of abstracts of
the 32nd International Geological Congress: 32nd IGC – Florence (Italy),
20-28 August 2004.
The deadline for submission of the abstract is the 28th of January.
See http://www.32igc.org/ for more information.
Between others, we have the following session that may match the interests of
Session G – 03.08 – Statistical and mathematical methods in land resource
survey: application to environmental geochemistry (sponsored by IAMG and
Conveners: Buccianti A. (Italy), Vetuschi Zuccolini M. (Italy), Dubois G.
Description of the session:
An important aim of environmental surveys is to delimit zones where there are
potentially toxic materials (i.e. heavy metals) in water, stream sediments and
soils. Environmental protection agencies often set thresholds for metal
concentrations and the use of the land may be conditioned by these
indications. In the session G – 03.08 a discussion of the most recent
developments in the field of Geostatistics applied on thematic mapping in
Geochemistry and Environmental Sciences is proposed. Geostatistics non only
provide descriptive tools such as variograms to characterise the spatial
pattern of the data but also various interpolation (i.e. kriging) techniques
to predict values at unsampled locations using information drawn from
different attributes. The fundamental contribution of Geostatistics related to
the assessment of the uncertainty about unsampled data has to be implemented
with a deep investigation about variogram interpretation and modelling. In
this session variograms and their geochemical meaning are considered the
critical point to be discussed.
* To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@...
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@... with no subject and "unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org