Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Hypothesis Testing in a Spatial Framework

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 20, 2003
      Warren

      We have had some success with a sort of hypothesis
      test in this regard. I had a task some years back to
      prove that the first area mined in a deposit was not
      significantly lower than could be expected by chance
      selection.

      We used a combination between 'between block variance'
      and a sort of cutoff analysis. It helps if your
      samples have a simple distribution like Normal or
      lognormal. Basically, you work out the probability
      that a block of a certain size would have a value that
      low (in our case). It is, effectively, a simple
      application of volume/variance. Chapter 3 in my 'old'
      book which can be read (or downloaded) at
      http://uk.geocities.com/practica.htm

    • Ted Harding
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 20, 2003
        On 19-Dec-03 Warren Schlechte wrote:
        > I would like some references for the following type design.
        >
        > Consider an area, much of which will not be treated. However,
        > small sections will be treated, and if the treatment works, the
        > density of an organism will be lessened. The basic question is
        > "What is the likelihood that the low-density areas would have
        > happened by chance, in the absence of the treatment?" If this
        > likelihood is very small, then we could suggest the treatment
        > is the reason we have lower densities in these areas. Note,
        > there could be a gradient with edge effects.
        >
        > How would one go about making a decision rule for testing whether
        > the treatment was effective?
        >
        > My guess is that the non-treated areas will be quite patchy.
        > Our hope is that in the treated areas, if the organism isn't
        > completely eliminated, the density will be considerably less.
        > [...]
        > Warren Schlechte
        > HOH Fisheries Science Center

        The issues you raise occur also in classical agricultural field
        trials, and you might like to consider using classical field
        experiment techniques.

        For instance, you could select a set of what you call "sections"
        as "plots", and randomly allocate half the plots to treatment/control.
        Then, if you are mainly interested in a "hypothesis-test" type of
        inference (which your statement suggests is the case), the randomisation
        distribution of treatment/control comparison would give you a valid
        result. If you can select well-separated "plots" so that they do not
        interfere with each other, this may be all you need.

        If gradients are a serious concern, you could make your experiment
        more sensitive by identifying strata to use as "blocks", within
        each of which you expect to find less variation due to this cause.
        Then you randomise on "plots" chosen within each "block", and again
        make use of the appropriate randomisation distribution.

        However, if you need to make a more "quantitative" inference,
        such as producing estimates with confidence intervals (or even
        merely doing a "t" or "F" test), then you may need to take account
        of possible spatio/temporal correlations on order to estimate the
        variances of your estimates, and this is not so easy. Again, there
        is a good deal of literature about this in the domain of agricultural
        experimentation.

        Given where you are writing from, it seems you may be looking
        at bodies of water. You do not say whether these are rivers/canals
        (approximately linear structures), or lakes or seas (2, or even 3,
        dimensional). This would affect the type of layout you would
        choose.

        In canals or lakes, the water may be relatively static, so the
        "treatment" is more likely to remain within the "plot", while in
        rivers or seas, the presence of currents may disperse it.
        The latter complication, as a serious issue, is rare in agricultural
        experiments. However, it may perhaps mainly influence your choice of
        procedure for measuring the concentration of the organism, though it
        could also severely complicate your estimation of variability.

        You do not say what the "treatment" is, by the way.

        I hope these thoughts help a bit.
        Best wishes,
        Ted.

        E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@...>