AI-GEOSTATS: SUM: question about Indicator Kriging

  • Katharina Buchenau
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2003
      Dear list,

      now I want to sum the answers to my question about indicator kriging (see
      below):

      >Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:01:03 +0100
      >To: ai-geostats@...
      >From: Katharina Buchenau <katharina.buchenau@...>
      >Subject: question about Indicator Kriging
      >
      >Dear list,
      >
      >I have used indicator kriging to interpolate data with lots of zero
      >values. How can I evaluate the quality of my prediction? Is the RMS useful
      >in this case?
      >And what does the kriging variance/standard error of indicators say? Is it
      >a confidence interval with the unit % as I predict probabilities?
      >
      >I would be happy to get some answers!
      >Katharina

      Here is an abstract of the answers:

      The short answer is 'no'.

      I am afraid you just have to take the kriging standard
      error as a relative measure not an absolute one.

      This is one of those places where cross validation is
      a useful tool as you can look at the 'true'
      distribution of kriging errors with the real data.

      If so, take the following for each sample:

      (actual value - estimated value)/kriging standard
      deviation

      then draw a histogram of the values. If this histogram
      is approximately Normal (Gaussian) you can do
      confidence intervals.

      Unless your data is very unusual, you will probably
      have a histogram which looks like a 'U'.

      Thank you all for your answers!!
      Katharina

      Dipl.-Geogr. Katharina Buchenau
      BWS GmbH