Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Information about Kriging 3D and semivariogram in 3D

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
      Lisa

      Distances and directions in 3d can be calculated very
      simply just as in 2d. There is shareware (Geostat
      Toolbox) and other software out there for 3d.

      Calculating semi-variograms whilst pretending your
      data is two dimensional can lead to extremely
      misleading semi-variograms. In particular your nugget
      effect will be exaggerated out of all proportion to
      reality.

      At the risk of offending some of our more sensitive
      list members, can I suggest you try things out on our
      FREE teaching software PG2000 which includes 3d
      capabilities. Test data set for this is a copper dump,
      which is provided in the FREE downloadable data sets.
      Find all this and other free goodies at
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com/softwares

      Isobel Clark

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2003
        Hi Lisa,

        I would recommend that you look at Chapter 16 of Isaaks and Srivastava's
        book "An introduction to Applied Geostatistics" which offers a very nice
        description of how to model semivariograms in different directions and
        up to 3 dimensions. You can also refer to the following paper:
        Barabas, N., Goovaerts, P. and P. Adriaens. 2001. Geostatistical
        assessment and validation of uncertainty for three-dimensional dioxin data
        from sediments in an estuarine river. Environmental Science & Technology,
        35(16): 3294-3301.

        Best regards,

        Pierre Goovaerts

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts