AI-GEOSTATS: Information about Kriging 3D and semivariogram in 3D

  • lisa pizzol
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
      Hello to everybody,

      I have to build a semivariogram in 3D and I need to know if I can use the same concepts used for the 2D semivariogram or if the theory is different. For example how can I consider the distance? In one article they said that I can first build the semivariogram in the horizontal direction in order to find the values of sill, range, nugget and the equation of the semivariogram. After this I can use these information to find the range in the vertical direction. Do you know any references that explain exactly how to do it?

      Thank you very much.

      Lisa

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2003
        Lisa

        Distances and directions in 3d can be calculated very
        simply just as in 2d. There is shareware (Geostat
        Toolbox) and other software out there for 3d.

        Calculating semi-variograms whilst pretending your
        data is two dimensional can lead to extremely
        misleading semi-variograms. In particular your nugget
        effect will be exaggerated out of all proportion to
        reality.

        At the risk of offending some of our more sensitive
        list members, can I suggest you try things out on our
        FREE teaching software PG2000 which includes 3d
        capabilities. Test data set for this is a copper dump,
        which is provided in the FREE downloadable data sets.
        Find all this and other free goodies at
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/softwares

        Isobel Clark

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2003
          Hi Lisa,

          I would recommend that you look at Chapter 16 of Isaaks and Srivastava's
          book "An introduction to Applied Geostatistics" which offers a very nice
          description of how to model semivariograms in different directions and
          up to 3 dimensions. You can also refer to the following paper:
          Barabas, N., Goovaerts, P. and P. Adriaens. 2001. Geostatistical
          assessment and validation of uncertainty for three-dimensional dioxin data
          from sediments in an estuarine river. Environmental Science & Technology,
          35(16): 3294-3301.

          Best regards,

          Pierre Goovaerts

          Dr. Pierre Goovaerts