Re: AI-GEOSTATS: non-ergodic covariance

  • Syed Abdul Rahman Shibli
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 15 10:10 PM
      on 16/03/01 2:24, Sara Kustron at skustron@... wrote:

      > It appears that this technique is computationally inaccessible to us
      > non-programmers at this point in time. Could it be argued that though
      > theoretically questionable non-ergodic covariance has some practical value
      > in that it successfully cleans up variograms? I apologize if this offends
      > "purists!"

      It will be foolhardy to be a geostatistical "purist" in this day
      and age. :) Note that one would most likely assume local stationarity within
      a search neigborhood in performing OK estimations, i.e. early lag
      behavior only. I would (dangerously) suggest that in this early lag
      period, choice of a variogram such as power law, spherical, exponential,
      or Gaussian would be nit picking. Unless the variogram clearly shows
      such definitive behavior, of course.

      Syed