Re: AI-GEOSTATS: geoR and memory

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
      Martin

      > - convert your longitude
      > and latitude data into a planar projection first
      Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
      world?

      Isobel
      http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm

    • Susan King
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
        I would like to have algorithms for converting lat/long into different
        projections (albers, utm).

        Susan L. King
        Operations Research Analyst
        USDA Forest Service
        11 Campus Blvd., Suite 200
        Newtown Square, PA 19073
        Phone: (610) 557-4048
        Email: sking01@...
        FAX: (610) 557-4250

        Isobel Clark
        <drisobelclark@y To: Martin Roseveare <martin_roseveare@...>
        ahoo.co.uk> cc: ai-geostats@...
        Sent by: Subject: Re: AI-GEOSTATS: geoR and memory
        ai-geostats-list
        @...

        10/24/2003 11:06
        AM
        Please respond
        to Isobel Clark

        Martin

        > - convert your longitude
        > and latitude data into a planar projection first
        Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
        world?

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm

      • Martin Roseveare
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
          Isobel,

          There are published algorithms that will do this - one of the advantages of
          the UTM projection is that it can be generated anywhere, with the zoning of
          the projection accounting for the necessary differences around the globe.
          Good software should be able to deal with UTM zones and hence work anywhere.
          The disadvantage of UTM is that other commerical mapping (including State)
          is more likely to use a local grid for the area concerned.

          It may be possible to find free or shareware that will do the projection -
          one issue that needs to be addressed though is precision as a lot of the
          free code is limited in this respect and of course the desired spatial
          accuracy of subsequent statistical processes needs to be incorporated within
          this. Otherwise there is often software tailor made for specific countries,
          e.g., for the UK and Ireland that usually offers a higher precision. It
          depends on the source data and what you want to do with it - we work to
          sub-metre precision and this can be a problem.

          If any of the list need to pursue this further I have a contact who is
          renowned for his work on co-ordinate transformations in the aerial
          photography world and who would probably be able to advise.

          Martin
          ______________________________________

          ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.
          Reconnaissance & Geophysics for Archaeology

          Telephone: +44 (0) 7050 369789
          E-mail: mail@...
          Website: http://www.archaeophysica.co.uk
          ______________________________________

          This e-mail is intended only for the addressee
          named above and may contain confidential or
          privileged information. If you receive this e-mail
          by mistake please advise the sender and destroy
          it without further disclosure of its content.

          Unless otherwise stated no opinions expressed in
          this e-mail should be regarded as representative of
          any policy of ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.
          > > and latitude data into a planar projection first
          > Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
          > world?
          >
          > Isobel
          > http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm

          > Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!
          > Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk

        • Jim Bash
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
            On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-1] Isobel Clark wrote:
            > > - convert your longitude
            > > and latitude data into a planar projection first
            > Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
            > world?

            There is no single projection that would be appropriate for everywhere in
            the world at once, just as there is no 2 dimensional (planar) projection
            that can accurately preserve angles, distance, direction and area for an
            entire map:-) Is that what you are asking for?

            jim b
            -----
            Jim Bash, Associate Director Internet : JBash@...
            CAGIS (m/c 092) Phone (W): 312/996-6367
            Program in Geography, Dept of Anthropology Fax : 312/996-6343
            University of Illinois at Chicago
            1007 W. Harrison St, Rm 2102 BSB URL : http://www.cagis.uic.edu/
            Chicago, IL 60607-7138

          • Jim Bash
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
              On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Susan King wrote:
              > I would like to have algorithms for converting lat/long into different
              > projections (albers, utm).

              You might check out http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/ which has source
              and documentation for PROJ.4, map projection software. I think the source
              is in C and you would probably have to dig for the algorithms, unless they
              are in the documentation.

              Sorry but I haven't looked at PROJ.4 in a long time. I normally refer to a
              book by John Snyder, "Map Projections-- A Working Manual" which was
              published by USGS as "USGS Professional Paper 1395" in 1987. But that
              isn't online and I'm not sure it is available anymore.

              HTH a little,

              jim b
              ------
              Jim Bash, Associate Director Internet : JBash@...
              CAGIS (m/c 092) Phone (W): 312/996-6367
              Program in Geography, Dept of Anthropology Fax : 312/996-6343
              University of Illinois at Chicago
              1007 W. Harrison St, Rm 2102 BSB URL : http://www.cagis.uic.edu/
              Chicago, IL 60607-7138

            • Julian Burgos
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
                Hello everyone,

                Here is a link to Geotrans, a program developed by the US National Imagery
                and Mapping Agency to convert locations between different coordinate
                systems.
                http://earth-info.nima.mil/GandG/geotrans/geotrans.html
                It can work in batch mode.

                Julian M. Burgos

                University of Washington
                School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences
                1122 NE Boat St. (Box 355020)
                Seattle, WA 98195-5020

                > I would like to have algorithms for converting lat/long into different
                > projections (albers, utm).
                >

                > Susan L. King
                > Operations Research Analyst
                > USDA Forest Service
                > 11 Campus Blvd., Suite 200
                > Newtown Square, PA 19073
                > Phone: (610) 557-4048
                > Email: sking01@...
                > FAX: (610) 557-4250
                >

                > Isobel Clark
                > <drisobelclark@y To: Martin Roseveare
                <martin_roseveare@...>
                > ahoo.co.uk> cc:
                ai-geostats@...
                > Sent by: Subject: Re: AI-GEOSTATS:
                geoR and memory
                > ai-geostats-list
                > @...
                >

                > 10/24/2003 11:06
                > AM
                > Please respond
                > to Isobel Clark
                >

                > Martin
                >
                > > - convert your longitude
                > > and latitude data into a planar projection first
                > Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
                > world?
                >
                > Isobel
                > http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm

                any useful responses to your questions.

              • Martin Roseveare
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 25, 2003
                  I've been passed this link regarding co-ordinate conversion - I haven't
                  tried it so can't comment on it's suitability.

                  http://www.connect.net/jbanta/Downloads.html#cat01

                  Martin