Re: AI-GEOSTATS: geoR and memory

  • Martin Roseveare
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
      Just to reinforce what Edzer said about projections - convert your longitude
      and latitude data into a planar projection first - UTM should be OK though
      check your data doesn't cross zones. If you don't do this the stats will not
      produce meaningful results as degrees are not a correct spatial measure.
      Even for very small areas the shape and hence the interrelationship between
      data is very different for long lat and metres.

      Martin Roseveare
      ______________________________________

      ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.
      Reconnaissance & Geophysics for Archaeology

      Telephone: +44 (0) 7050 369789
      E-mail: mail@...
      Website: http://www.archaeophysica.co.uk
      ______________________________________

      This e-mail is intended only for the addressee
      named above and may contain confidential or
      privileged information. If you receive this e-mail
      by mistake please advise the sender and destroy
      it without further disclosure of its content.

      Unless otherwise stated no opinions expressed in
      this e-mail should be regarded as representative of
      any policy of ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
        Martin

        > - convert your longitude
        > and latitude data into a planar projection first
        Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
        world?

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm

      • Susan King
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
          I would like to have algorithms for converting lat/long into different
          projections (albers, utm).

          Susan L. King
          Operations Research Analyst
          USDA Forest Service
          11 Campus Blvd., Suite 200
          Newtown Square, PA 19073
          Phone: (610) 557-4048
          Email: sking01@...
          FAX: (610) 557-4250

          Isobel Clark
          <drisobelclark@y To: Martin Roseveare <martin_roseveare@...>
          ahoo.co.uk> cc: ai-geostats@...
          Sent by: Subject: Re: AI-GEOSTATS: geoR and memory
          ai-geostats-list
          @...

          10/24/2003 11:06
          AM
          Please respond
          to Isobel Clark

          Martin

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
            Isobel,

            There are published algorithms that will do this - one of the advantages of
            the UTM projection is that it can be generated anywhere, with the zoning of
            the projection accounting for the necessary differences around the globe.
            Good software should be able to deal with UTM zones and hence work anywhere.
            The disadvantage of UTM is that other commerical mapping (including State)
            is more likely to use a local grid for the area concerned.

            It may be possible to find free or shareware that will do the projection -
            one issue that needs to be addressed though is precision as a lot of the
            free code is limited in this respect and of course the desired spatial
            accuracy of subsequent statistical processes needs to be incorporated within
            this. Otherwise there is often software tailor made for specific countries,
            e.g., for the UK and Ireland that usually offers a higher precision. It
            depends on the source data and what you want to do with it - we work to
            sub-metre precision and this can be a problem.

            If any of the list need to pursue this further I have a contact who is
            renowned for his work on co-ordinate transformations in the aerial
            photography world and who would probably be able to advise.

            Martin
            ______________________________________

            ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.
            Reconnaissance & Geophysics for Archaeology

            Telephone: +44 (0) 7050 369789
            E-mail: mail@...
            Website: http://www.archaeophysica.co.uk
            ______________________________________

            This e-mail is intended only for the addressee
            named above and may contain confidential or
            privileged information. If you receive this e-mail
            by mistake please advise the sender and destroy
            it without further disclosure of its content.

            Unless otherwise stated no opinions expressed in
            this e-mail should be regarded as representative of
            any policy of ArchaeoPhysica Ltd.
            > > and latitude data into a planar projection first
            > Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
            > world?
            >
            > Isobel
            > http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm

            > Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!
            > Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk

          • Jim Bash
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
              On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, [iso-8859-1] Isobel Clark wrote:
              > > - convert your longitude
              > > and latitude data into a planar projection first
              > Do you have an algorithm that works everywhere in the
              > world?

              There is no single projection that would be appropriate for everywhere in
              the world at once, just as there is no 2 dimensional (planar) projection
              that can accurately preserve angles, distance, direction and area for an
              entire map:-) Is that what you are asking for?

              jim b
              -----
              Jim Bash, Associate Director Internet : JBash@...
              CAGIS (m/c 092) Phone (W): 312/996-6367
              Program in Geography, Dept of Anthropology Fax : 312/996-6343
              University of Illinois at Chicago
              1007 W. Harrison St, Rm 2102 BSB URL : http://www.cagis.uic.edu/
              Chicago, IL 60607-7138

            • Jim Bash
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
                On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Susan King wrote:
                > I would like to have algorithms for converting lat/long into different
                > projections (albers, utm).

                You might check out http://www.remotesensing.org/proj/ which has source
                and documentation for PROJ.4, map projection software. I think the source
                is in C and you would probably have to dig for the algorithms, unless they
                are in the documentation.

                Sorry but I haven't looked at PROJ.4 in a long time. I normally refer to a
                book by John Snyder, "Map Projections-- A Working Manual" which was
                published by USGS as "USGS Professional Paper 1395" in 1987. But that
                isn't online and I'm not sure it is available anymore.

                HTH a little,

                jim b
                ------
                Jim Bash, Associate Director Internet : JBash@...
                CAGIS (m/c 092) Phone (W): 312/996-6367
                Program in Geography, Dept of Anthropology Fax : 312/996-6343
                University of Illinois at Chicago
                1007 W. Harrison St, Rm 2102 BSB URL : http://www.cagis.uic.edu/
                Chicago, IL 60607-7138

              • Julian Burgos
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 24, 2003
                  Hello everyone,

                  Here is a link to Geotrans, a program developed by the US National Imagery
                  and Mapping Agency to convert locations between different coordinate
                  systems.
                  http://earth-info.nima.mil/GandG/geotrans/geotrans.html
                  It can work in batch mode.

                  Julian M. Burgos

                  University of Washington
                  School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences
                  1122 NE Boat St. (Box 355020)
                  Seattle, WA 98195-5020

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2003
                    I've been passed this link regarding co-ordinate conversion - I haven't
                    tried it so can't comment on it's suitability.

                    http://www.connect.net/jbanta/Downloads.html#cat01

                    Martin