AI-GEOSTATS: Sampling methodolgy

  • Dean Monroe
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2003
      Group:

      First, thanks to all who responded to my question of CV values and kriging. The insights were very helpful and have caused me to revise my procedure.

      I am about to set a sampling schedule for my experiment. At first I thought a uniform random sampling structure could be simulated (i.e. random lat/long coordinates) then applied to a field. How then can I ensure that there will be enough samples (at consecutive lags) to produce an accurate variogram? Is there a spatial uniform random pattern that I can use to develop my sampling schedule?

      Secondly, has anyone seen a reference as to the appropriate number of samples to take? Is there a reference, book, manual, or something that delineates good sampling methods for geostatistical research?

      Thanks very much..

      Best,
      Dean Monroe
      Oklahoma State University