AI-GEOSTATS: Comparing spatial interpolators

  • Peter Pinn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2003
      Hi again,

      after I got so much response to my questions concerning spaital
      interpolation comparison I want to present to you my conclusion:

      It seems to be a very big problem to make qualitatively assumtions on the
      goodness of a spaital interpolator compared to another. Nevertheless, many
      ecological relevant studies use cross-validation to perform this check
      (using RMSE, MAE or MRE for their pursoses). In literature we find the
      advice that quantitative assumtions can be made like this e.g. (how many
      locations are over or underestimated etc.) but qualitative comparision can
      be misleading. Therefore I propose the follwoing:
      1. Check crossvalidation results for a firsdt comparison
      2. Count the numer of sites of misesimation
      3. Calculate the largest differences between the estimated and true values
      4. Perform a t-test for independet variables
      5. Calculate the regression coefficient between estimated and true values
      (output = r2)
      6. Look with your expert knowledge at the maps produced and interprete the
      results

      Now I am very much intersted in your opinion concerning this proceeding.
      Would you say this is a correct comparison of a spatial interpolator ?

      Bye,

      Peter

      Sch├╝tzen Sie Ihren Posteingang vor unerw├╝nschten E-Mails.
      http://www.msn.de/antispam Jetzt Hotmail-Junk-Filter aktivieren!