AI-GEOSTATS: filling 'holes' in high-res DEM with low-res data

  • Holger Sandmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2003
      Hi everyone:

      I have a high-res DEM (SRTM 3-arcsec) which has local 'blackouts'/'holes',
      and a low-res DEM (DTED0) of the same area, which is complete. Many of the
      holes are too large for meaningful results with simple interpolation
      procedures.

      When I merge the two DEMs to fill in the missing data in the high-res DEM,
      the generalization of the low-res DEMs elevations leads to 'troughs' (i.e.,
      cliffs along the edges) instead of the desired smooth fill-ins.

      My idea (taken from GIS literature) is to improve the low-res mesh prior to
      merging by using the available high-res data to predict the true elevation
      in the areas with holes. My question is, which would be the best available
      procedure - local or global? simple (e.g., differencing) or complex (e.g.,
      regression models)? I have done a few trials with global approaches but
      they didn't provide satisfactory results.

      Any advice or pointers are appreciated.

      Cheers,

      Holger Sandmann