AI-GEOSTATS: Deterministic vs. Stochastic Interpolation Comparison

  • Peter Pinn
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hello,

      thank you all for the great replies to my questions. This helps very much.

      I was wondering whether or not there is a way to compare the performance of
      deterministic interpolation methods such as Linear Triangulation or Natural
      Neighbours to Kriging or IDW !? Is there a measure similar to the RMSE
      resulting from cross-validation ? (e.g. ESRIs Geostatistical Analyst does
      not use these methods, whereas SURFER applies a cross-validation that I do
      not really believe in !) I hope I am not totally wrong assuming that
      cross-validation does not really work fine in deterministic methods, because
      a extrapolation at edge sampling locations will not be computed...

      Thanks again :-)

      Peter