Re: AI-GEOSTATS: application of spatial staistics

  • Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      Hi,

      I don't really know what to say about your data. In fact i am not
      dealing with this type of data but if you can answer to some
      questions maybe you can do something about it. The problem - as
      i see it - is that you have a too big area for the number of sample
      points .... i am afraid they would not be statistically relevant. The
      idea - or at least one assumption in statistics - is that all your
      sample points came from the same population. Do you really know
      if this is true? Because you can have same species of foraminifera,
      but do they come from the same population? And if they come
      from the same population, is your density of sampling relevant
      enough to pick up different modifications of the parameter /
      phenomenon you are interested to model for that population?

      Think about altitude points, for example, you have for a country. If
      you have only 31 points, far apart, each with an altitude between
      300 and 500 metres, your topographic relief modelled after these
      points will never pick up mountain ranges, or deep valley, does not
      matter which statistical procedure you use for interpolation.

      You see, of course you can apply any statistical method or
      procedure you want, but if the result you end up with is any good or
      relevant - is an other story.

      I hope this will help at least a little bit to think about your data.

      Monica

      Monica Palaseanu-Lovejoy
      University of Manchester
      School of Geography