AI-GEOSTATS: stratified kriging

  • Oliver Sonnentag
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
      hello list,
      I have question regarding stratified (ordinary, simple, simple updating, etc.) kriging.
      when dividing my entire data set in different strata based on additional information like geographical classification of natural landscapes, soil maps, aquifer or watersheds (or whatever is suitable and justifed) and each subset is modelled and interpolated seperately, how do I have to handle the effect that estimation points close to the boundary of each polygon have most of their supporting values defined by the search strategy in the adjacent polygon? applying a buffer around each dividing polygon to get the observations close to the boundaries and clip the interpolation results? would this be an option when using additional information that rarely has sharp boundaries in reality like soils?
      many many thanks in advance.
      oliver
      Spam-Filter fuer alle - bester Spam-Schutz laut ComputerBild 15-03
      WEB.DE FreeMail - Deutschlands beste E-Mail - http://s.web.de/?mc=021120

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
        Hi Oliver,

        You are right that such stratified kriging will create
        discontinuities close to the boundaries and if it does not
        make sense you can always perform the kriging on the residuals
        and add back the stratified means.
        An example is given in the paper you can download from
        http://www.terraseer.com/services/courses/geostats/geoderma.pdf

        Cheers,

        Pierre Goovaerts

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
        President of PGeostat, LLC
        Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
        710 Ridgemont Lane
        Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

        E-mail: goovaert@...
        Phone: (734) 668-9900
        Fax: (734) 668-7788

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2003
          Oliver

          We have had some success with 'modelling' stuff like
          soil types using indicator variables. This gives you a
          'probability' map as to whether or not you are in a
          particular soil type (or whatever) which you could
          then use to modify the inclusion (or perhaps the
          weighting?) of your samples when kriging.

          Isobel
          http://ecosse.ontheweb.com