Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Significant Moran's I?

  • Roger Bivand
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 24, 2003
      On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Russell Barbour wrote:

      > To measure auto-coorelation Moran's I is compared to the expected "I" that
      > would be generated from a random distribution. My question is if the observed
      > Moran's I is more than one standard deviation higher than expected "I" could
      > that be considered significant auto-correlation?

      I guess that will depend on your specific application. If you permute your
      observed values about your spatial units, you can work out how far out in
      one of the tails your observed statistic falls. Where you want to set your
      bound for a significant statistic is then a matter for your judgement,
      although +1SD sounds permissive. Recall that Moran's I can also detect
      non-stationarity, so is a general test for spatial mis-specification
      (Fingleton, 1999, Journal of Regional Science).

      Roger Bivand

      e-mail: Roger.Bivand@...