AI-GEOSTATS: kriging and radial basis functions

  • Dobler, Lorenz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2003
      hello all,

      There are some similarities between interpolation-algorithms based on radial
      basis functions and kriging. I am not sure whether i understood it right or
      not. May be someone can help me and tell me if i am on the right way:

      In kriging i get optimal weights (w) for data points by solving the matrix:
      C = w * D
      C= covariance matrix between data points
      D = covarince-matrix between data points and grid node

      using interpolation based on radial basis functions i just do the same
      except that i have to replace variogram-dependend covariance-matrices C and
      D by one of the distance-dependend rbf-functions ?

      regards

      Lenz

      Lorenz Dobler
      Bayerisches Geologisches Landesamt