AI-GEOSTATS: global vs local ordinary kriging

  • Ulrich Leopold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2003
      Dear list,

      What would you consider the most reliable ordinary kriging estimate? To
      use a local search neighbourhood (slightly bigger than the effective
      range) or set to global to include *all* data locations?

      Ulrich

      Ulrich Leopold MSc.

      Department of Physical Geography
      Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
      Faculty of Science
      University of Amsterdam
      Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
      NL-1018WV Amsterdam

      Phone: +31-(0)20-525-7456 (7451 Secretary)
      Fax: +31-(0)20-525-7431
      Email: uleopold@...
      http://www.frw.uva.nl/soil/Welcome.html

      Check us also out at:
      Netherlands Centre for Geo-ecological Research
      http://www.frw.uva.nl/icg

    • Juliann Aukema
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2003
        Hi,
        I have a sampling question. I am planning a study to
        look at plant diversity and plant distribution
        patterns in a karstic area. The topography is a series
        of hills and valleys in all directions
        (http://www.cdk-pr.org/index.htm for a picture). I
        have a dataset that contains about 50 sample locations
        distributed through the region (basically a 75
        kilometer transect, 1-15 kilometers wide). At each
        location, plant community data was taken at three
        topographic positions hilltop, hillside, and valley.
        Previous studies have demonstrated a difference in
        plant communities between these three positions,
        therefore I don�t think that this dataset can be
        considered to have 150 points. Seven pairs of points
        are separated by between 45 and 1000 meters, the rest
        are separated by greater distances. I would like to
        expand the sampling so that I have enough points for a
        spatial analysis and to encompass a finer scale (for
        example, neighboring hills). One possibility I am
        considering is taking say 10 evenly distributed
        sampled points and sampling hill, slope, valley along
        a transect for 5 additional hills. My questions are:
        do I need more points for a reasonable spatial
        analysis? how many points would you all recommend �
        minimum number, ideal number? and do you have any
        sampling suggestions other than my transect idea for
        encompassing the finer scale?

        Thanks a lot for suggestions,

        Juliann
        aukemaj@...