AI-GEOSTATS: global vs local ordinary kriging

  • Ulrich Leopold
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2003
      Dear list,

      What would you consider the most reliable ordinary kriging estimate? To
      use a local search neighbourhood (slightly bigger than the effective
      range) or set to global to include *all* data locations?

      Ulrich

      Ulrich Leopold MSc.

      Department of Physical Geography
      Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics
      Faculty of Science
      University of Amsterdam
      Nieuwe Achtergracht 166
      NL-1018WV Amsterdam

      Phone: +31-(0)20-525-7456 (7451 Secretary)
      Fax: +31-(0)20-525-7431
      Email: uleopold@...
      http://www.frw.uva.nl/soil/Welcome.html

      Check us also out at:
      Netherlands Centre for Geo-ecological Research
      http://www.frw.uva.nl/icg

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2003
        Ulrich

        Depends how powerful your computer is, what algorithm
        you use to solve equations and how many data you have.

        Isobel
        http://geoecosse.bizland.com/0toKriging.htm

      • Juliann Aukema
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2003
          Hi,
          I have a sampling question. I am planning a study to
          look at plant diversity and plant distribution
          patterns in a karstic area. The topography is a series
          of hills and valleys in all directions
          (http://www.cdk-pr.org/index.htm for a picture). I
          have a dataset that contains about 50 sample locations
          distributed through the region (basically a 75
          kilometer transect, 1-15 kilometers wide). At each
          location, plant community data was taken at three
          topographic positions hilltop, hillside, and valley.
          Previous studies have demonstrated a difference in
          plant communities between these three positions,
          therefore I don�t think that this dataset can be
          considered to have 150 points. Seven pairs of points
          are separated by between 45 and 1000 meters, the rest
          are separated by greater distances. I would like to
          expand the sampling so that I have enough points for a
          spatial analysis and to encompass a finer scale (for
          example, neighboring hills). One possibility I am
          considering is taking say 10 evenly distributed
          sampled points and sampling hill, slope, valley along
          a transect for 5 additional hills. My questions are:
          do I need more points for a reasonable spatial
          analysis? how many points would you all recommend �
          minimum number, ideal number? and do you have any
          sampling suggestions other than my transect idea for
          encompassing the finer scale?

          Thanks a lot for suggestions,

          Juliann
          aukemaj@...