AI-GEOSTATS: analysis of bone surfaces

  • ANN ZUMWALT
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
      Hello-

      I am a graduate student studying the functional morphology of bones. Part of my thesis entails characterizing the shape of a relatively complex 3D bone surface. I am testing to see whether exercise affects the morphology of this surface, so am looking for a way to test for differences between shapes/specimens. I am especially interested in testing for differences in the rugosity (ie, "bumpiness") of the surfaces, but am interested in *any* method that would help me analyze these surfaces.

      I have 3D grid data (x,y,z) that represents the surfaces (I am scanning the bones with a 3D laser scanner to obtain this data). Can any of you suggest methods to analyze this data that will allow me to differentiate surfaces that are morphologically dissimilar?

      Thank you,
      Ann Zumwalt

      Center for Functional Anatomy & Evolution
      Johns Hopkins University

    • Reed Copsey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
        Ann,

        Though our software was developed primarily for Earth Science applications,
        Arizona State University is using our EVS-PRO software to animate fetal
        mouse embryo development based on scanned photomicrographs of tissue
        structures. One (of many) challenge they face is finding reference points
        to tie spatial anchors as they evaluate different stages of development.
        This common frame of reference is important if you're trying to evaluate
        spatial variations between objects rather than spectral analysis of surface
        roughness (rugosity).

        In your case it would be helpful to know what measures of similarity you are
        seeking. Are you trying to get a single number (scalar) that represents
        similarity or disimilarity? OR, are you wanting to map surface deviations
        between best-fit comparisons between similar bones? OR something else?

        Reed D. Copsey, President
        C Tech Development Corporation
        16091 Santa Barbara Lane
        Huntington Beach, CA 92649 U.S.A.
        Phone: 714-840-7444 Fax: 714-844-9255
        e-mail: reed@...
        support e-mail: support@...

      • Adrian Martínez Vargas
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
          You can use too the local standard deviation or correlation coefficient,
          obtained by moving windows. It can let you see de local variations of the
          roughness. In relation with the size of the window you ca display more local
          o global roughness. If exist more information ore variables you can use
          local correlations too.

          Later (knowing closing the local roughness) you can use more complex
          analysis as fractals.

          King Regards

          Adrian Martínez

          Departamento de Geología