AI-GEOSTATS: analysis of bone surfaces

  • ANN ZUMWALT
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
      Hello-

      I am a graduate student studying the functional morphology of bones. Part of my thesis entails characterizing the shape of a relatively complex 3D bone surface. I am testing to see whether exercise affects the morphology of this surface, so am looking for a way to test for differences between shapes/specimens. I am especially interested in testing for differences in the rugosity (ie, "bumpiness") of the surfaces, but am interested in *any* method that would help me analyze these surfaces.

      I have 3D grid data (x,y,z) that represents the surfaces (I am scanning the bones with a 3D laser scanner to obtain this data). Can any of you suggest methods to analyze this data that will allow me to differentiate surfaces that are morphologically dissimilar?

      Thank you,
      Ann Zumwalt

      Center for Functional Anatomy & Evolution
      Johns Hopkins University

    • Ted Harding
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
        On 24-Jun-03 ANN ZUMWALT wrote:
        > I am a graduate student studying the functional morphology of bones.
        > Part of my thesis entails characterizing the shape of a relatively
        > complex 3D bone surface. I am testing to see whether exercise affects
        > the morphology of this surface, so am looking for a way to test for
        > differences between shapes/specimens. I am especially interested in
        > testing for differences in the rugosity (ie, "bumpiness") of the
        > surfaces, but am interested in *any* method that would help me analyze
        > these surfaces.
        >
        > I have 3D grid data (x,y,z) that represents the surfaces (I am scanning
        > the bones with a 3D laser scanner to obtain this data). Can any of you
        > suggest methods to analyze this data that will allow me to
        > differentiate surfaces that are morphologically dissimilar?

        Hi Ann,
        Approaches would somewhat depend on the scale of the rugosity relative
        to the "global" curvature of the bone surface. If you can regard the
        surface as effectively flat (i.e. approximately a plane) then one aspect
        that could be revealing is the two-dimensional spectrum.

        However, if the scale of a "bump" is appreciable and the bone/specimen
        is curved, then you may have to fit a 2-D "smooth surface" to the overall
        shape of the bone, and then evaluate the rugosity say in terms of
        perpendicular distance from the fit. You would also then have the problem
        of defining position on the fitted surface in order to use say the
        spectrum.

        What do you mean by "morphologically dissimilar"?

        Ted.

        E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@...>
        Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
        Date: 24-Jun-03 Time: 20:30:23

      • Reed Copsey
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
          Ann,

          Though our software was developed primarily for Earth Science applications,
          Arizona State University is using our EVS-PRO software to animate fetal
          mouse embryo development based on scanned photomicrographs of tissue
          structures. One (of many) challenge they face is finding reference points
          to tie spatial anchors as they evaluate different stages of development.
          This common frame of reference is important if you're trying to evaluate
          spatial variations between objects rather than spectral analysis of surface
          roughness (rugosity).

          In your case it would be helpful to know what measures of similarity you are
          seeking. Are you trying to get a single number (scalar) that represents
          similarity or disimilarity? OR, are you wanting to map surface deviations
          between best-fit comparisons between similar bones? OR something else?

          Reed D. Copsey, President
          C Tech Development Corporation
          16091 Santa Barbara Lane
          Huntington Beach, CA 92649 U.S.A.
          Phone: 714-840-7444 Fax: 714-844-9255
          e-mail: reed@...
          support e-mail: support@...

        • Adrian Martínez Vargas
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 24, 2003
            You can use too the local standard deviation or correlation coefficient,
            obtained by moving windows. It can let you see de local variations of the
            roughness. In relation with the size of the window you ca display more local
            o global roughness. If exist more information ore variables you can use
            local correlations too.

            Later (knowing closing the local roughness) you can use more complex
            analysis as fractals.

            King Regards

            Adrian Martínez

            Departamento de Geología