AI-GEOSTATS: Variogram range physical meaning !

  • Serele, Charles
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
      Hi All,

      I got some results from a variogram analysis on two remote sensing images
      with pixel size of 8m and 30m each. I would like to know the physical
      meaning of the variogram range over a forest target. The range varies from 5
      pixels (40m) to 10 pixels (80m) for the 8m pixel size image (CASI), and from
      3 pixels (90m) to 15 pixels (450m) for the 30 m pixel size image (Hyperion)
      from visible to near-infrared bands.
      1. What these distances represents at the ground level ? They are to high to
      be associated to the tree size. How can I interpret this ?
      2. For the variogram I computed from a mineral target, the range increases
      continuously as a function of wavelengths, what's that mean ?

      Thanks a lot for your time

      Charles

    • Adrian Martinez Vargas
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2003
        the meaning of these is the continuity of the "reflactanse" or colour value
        measured in each pixel, it seem to be low continuity, the size of the range
        is proportional to the spatial continuity. More useful than it can be the
        use that you can do to dose variograms. it is possible to filter the image
        friging the drift or use the image as drift or secondary variable for
        estimate the spatial behevieur of correlate variable (type of soil for
        example o rate of clay or iron in clay and iron ratio obtained with Land Sat
        Images, in these case the primary variables should be clay, iron and soil
        type in field). Some simulations techniques can be used to.

        King Regards

        Adrian Martinez Vargas

        Departamento de Geología

        ISMM, Las Coloradas, s/n

        Moa Holguín Cuba

        CP 83329

        > I got some results from a variogram analysis on two remote sensing images
        > with pixel size of 8m and 30m each. I would like to know the physical
        > meaning of the variogram range over a forest target. The range varies from
        5
        > pixels (40m) to 10 pixels (80m) for the 8m pixel size image (CASI), and
        from
        > 3 pixels (90m) to 15 pixels (450m) for the 30 m pixel size image
        (Hyperion)
        > from visible to near-infrared bands.
        > 1. What these distances represents at the ground level ? They are to high
        > be associated to the tree size. How can I interpret this ?
        > 2. For the variogram I computed from a mineral target, the range increases
        > continuously as a function of wavelengths, what's that mean ?
        >
        > Thanks a lot for your time
        >
        > Charles

        any useful responses to your questions.