Re: AI-GEOSTATS: Area estimation

  • Ruben Roa
    Message 1 of 2 , May 20, 2003
      Hi Donald. According to the *transitive* theory of geostatistics, it is
      possible to estimate (to have an estimate and the error variance of) the
      total area of a regionalized variable without specifying a priori any
      area/volume, using the indicator transform. I think you are referring to
      *intrinsic* geostatistics (the model-based version of the theory) in which
      it is as you say: only a fraction of a pre-specified area/volume can be
      estimated, though the pre-specified area/volume would not have an
      associated error variance. I was asking geostatisticians in the list if
      they have used transitive geostatistics for total area estimation. I'd add
      now what software have they used to do transitive geostatistics for total
      area estimation, if they had.
      Ruben Roa

      >Donald E. Myers wrote:
      >I wonder if you need to clarify your question or whether you want to ask a
      different question.? Kriging does not "estimate the area of a regionalized
      variable". You can use "block" kriging to estimate the average value of a
      regionalized variable over a specified area or volume. By combining an
      indicator transform with block kriging you can estimate the proportion of
      an area/volume where the regionalized variable is above/below a specified
      cutoff. Because tht indicator transform makes it look essentially like
      "presence/absence" it is close
      to the idea of estimating an area but only as a fraction of a specified
      area/volume.

      >>Ruben Roa wrote:
      Colleagues:
      Has anyone used transitive geostatistics to estimate the area of a
      regionalized variable? Any references apart from Matheron's lecture notes,
      i mean, applications?
      Thanks
      Ruben Roa
      http://webmail.udec.cl