775AI-GEOSTATS: hole effect modeling in 3D
- Dec 1, 2002Dear list members,
I hope to get some insight into modeling and kriging with 3-D variograms
where all 3 directions display a pronounced hole-effect/oscillations.
(I am using GSLIB)
First of all, are there any permissibility issues regarding a hole effect
model? I am thinking in particular of the dampening factor, which is an
additional parameter that is not accounted for in the kriging parameter
files. I know that kt3d has a built-in relationship of d to the range,
and I wonder if that is just for simplification or because of
Second, what does the range mean for a hole effect model in terms of the
maximum distance between the estimation location and a contributing data
location. Does the dampening affect this distance in kt3d and would there
be permissibility issues if I were to modify the program?
Third, what if the dampening parameter is different in all 3 directins?
And finally, my grid will be discretized such that in one direction I
will only estimate at three different distances, and I assume that the
semivariogram model needs a good fit only at those lags. Is this a
I much appreciate any insights into these questions!!
The University of Michigan
Dept. Civil and Environmental Engineering
1351 Beal Avenue (13 EWRE)
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2125
Phone: (734) 615-5905
* To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@...
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@... with no subject and "unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org