606RE: AI-GEOSTATS: Risk Assessment with Gaussian Simulation?

  • Syed Abdul Rahman Shibli
    Apr 29, 2002
      >From: "McKenna, Sean A" <samcken@...>
      >
      >1) When trying to explain the concepts of spatial variability and
      >uncertainty, we have found that showing example realizations of what the
      >possible distribution of contaminants could look like provides the groups
      >involved to get a more intuitive understanding of these ideas.

      Taking this a step further, there was a paper in the AAPG Stochastic
      Modeling and Geostatistics Volume entitled "The Visualization
      of Spatial Uncertainty" (R Mohan Srivastava) which proposes the use
      of probability field simulation to generate dynamic animations
      of different realizations. I have yet to see it being implemented in
      commercial software, although in concept I can see the benefit
      of having something like this to illustrate the "equiprobable"
      realizations. The idea was to generate smooth transitions of
      successive "frames" by sampling from adjacent columns of a set of
      probability values, for a movie-like effect.

      Syed