4Re: AI-GEOSTATS: AI-GEOSTATS

    Nov 30, 2000
      Hi,

      One of the primary objectives of stochastic simulation
      is to reproduce patterns of spatial variability and
      in sequential simulation it is ensured by using
      previously simulated values to derive probability
      distributions to be sampled randomly. As a consequence, you
      should make sure that the number of selected points
      (data and simulated values) and the size of the search window
      is large enough to allow one to incorporate information
      up to the range of spatial correlation.
      Of course, this may become impractical as the number of simulated
      values increases, hence the concept of multiple-grid simulation
      implemented in the new version of Gslib and that I strongly
      recommend to use.

      Here is the description that I give in my book, page 379.

      "The use of a search neighborhood limits reproduction of the input
      covariance model to the radius of that neighborhood. Another obstacle
      to reproduction of long-range structures is the screening of distant
      data by too many data closer to the location being simulated. The
      multiple-grid concept (G\'omez-Hern\'andez, 1991; Tran, 1994) allows
      one to reproduce long-range correlation structures without having to
      consider large search neighborhoods with too many conditioning data.
      For example, a two-step simulation of a square grid 500X500
      could proceed as follows:

      1. The attribute values are first simulated on a coarse grid (e.g.,
      25x25) using a large search neighborhood so as to reproduce
      long-range correlation structures. Because the grid is coarse, each
      neighborhood contains few data, which reduces the screening effect.

      2. Once the coarse grid has been completed, the simulation continues
      on the finer grid 500X500 using a smaller search neighborhood
      so as to reproduce short-range correlation structures. The
      previously simulated values on the coarse grid are
      used as data for the simulation on the fine grid.

      A random path is followed within each grid.

      The procedure can be generalized to any number of intermediate grids;
      this number depends on the number of structures with different ranges
      final grid spacing.

      Pierre

      | \ / | Pierre Goovaerts
      |_ \ / _| Assistant professor