31Re: AI-GEOSTATS: In need of some help.
- Dec 20, 2000Mann-Whitney U test does require that the distributions of two populations
are similar. It is distribution free but not assumption free.
Resampling (or randomization) methods should work. Basically, you will mix
the two samples, and then randomly separate them into two groups, and
calculate the parameter you are interested (e.g., average difference);
repeated the process for a large number of times. You will get a
distribution of the parameter, compare the parameter estimate from original
data with this distribution to see how likely you would be able to get the
original value by chance.
You can run this through Excel by set up a macro. Or check
www.resample.com, there is information about the methods and software.
At 10:08 AM 12/19/00 -0700, mercury1@... wrote:
>This is my first post to this list. Hope it is not out of place. I need a
>way to compare two small populations (very small sample sizes..5 and
>of which lack normality). I would like to compare them based on 3-5parameters.
> Because of the above limitations I have given up on the validity of a t-testquestion
>(which assumes a normal distribution and larger sample sizes). My basic
>is this: are these two small populations statistically different or do theyfolks
>belong to the same population? I have asked many elementary level stats
>and have not been entirely satisfied with their solutions. So, I pose thisany useful responses to your questions.
>'problem' to you.
>Thanks for your time.
>* To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@...
>* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of
>* To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@... with no subject and"unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message
body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
>* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org--
* To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@...
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@... with no subject and "unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>