290AI-GEOSTATS: Sampling design for airphoto selection
- Jun 29, 2001Hello Ai-geostats list
I am developing a sampling plan for a retrospective analysis of deciduous
forests. We intend to use airphotos from the 1930s to develop an inventory
to compare with the current inventory. The area within our study area that
is covered by airphotos is approximately 350,000 ha and we can't afford to
map it all, so we are looking a ways of capturing the variation in deciduous
distribution and composition using a sample or subset of the photos. One
approach we are considering is based on the National Forest Inventory of
Canada, which recommends sampling about 1% of the study area using a 20km x
20km grid and 2km x 2km typed areas at the the grid intersections. Other
ideas include transects, simple random, or stratified random designs. Any
other suggestions or references would be appreciated.
* To post a message to the list, send it to ai-geostats@...
* As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful responses to your questions.
* To unsubscribe, send an email to majordomo@... with no subject and "unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list
* Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org