2472Re: [ai-geostats] software for 3D visualization

  • Bill Wingle
    Mar 13, 2006
      As a comment for Windows users, if you need to run UNIX software, there
      is a very good collection of tools that lets you run most UNIX
      programs you can get source code for, natively on your Windows machine.

      Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.org) is an open source (free) collection of
      software you can load on your Windows machine which emulates a UNIX
      and X-Windows environment. The only time that I have seen that you
      will run into trouble is if the software has a networking layer, or if
      you are trying to talk directly to hardware devices (UNIX and Windows
      do this stuff very differently). It comes with C/C++ (gcc/g++) and
      FORTRAN compilers (f77 - if you need F90/F95 google gfortran) and all
      the other usual GNU tools.

      I do recommend having a UNIX/Linux friend available to install this.
      It is not a simple install, and you have to pick and choose the
      components you want. You can pick everything, but have 500 MB to 1 GB
      free.

      When everything is installed though, and you start it, you get a
      standard UNIX ASCII terminal window. You type your usual UNIX commands
      here. If you need to run X-Windows program, you need to first type
      "startx" to bring up the X-Server. This has its own console window
      to launch X-Windows programs from.

      I use this for my own software (UNCERT), and while it is a little slower
      than if I run it on a Linux machine, it's not bad. This has been a
      faster option for me then re-writing my software in Java or Window's
      Visual Studio.

      For output, since many UNIX programs target PostScript printers, print
      to a PostScript file. I think there is a cygwin ps2pdf program, but I
      don't have it loaded. I usually use Adobe Acrobat Distiller to
      convert *.PS files to *.PDF's. There are also free / cheaper programs
      for Windows to do this on the web.

      You can also easily access all your Window hard drives. The C: drive
      for example is /cygdrive/c/. From the Windows side, you have a
      standard UNIX filesystem under the cygwin installation directory.

      Sorry for being long winded, but I work in Windows office, and this
      lets me easily still use my favorite UNIX tools.

      Bill Wingle

      William L. Wingle, Ph.D. 5180 Pine Ridge Road
      wwingle@... Golden, Colorado 80403
      (303) 279-1290 http://www.uncert.com/wwingle/

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic