2261Re: [ai-geostats] polygon changes

  • Gerald van den Boogaart
    Nov 1, 2005
      Dear Mr. Robertson,

      > Do any of you have experience/advice on spatiotemporal analysis of
      > polygon data?
      To me your question reads like: Did anybody of you at any time considered time
      in vektor GIS. And clearly one can lecture hours on that, while "real world"
      GIS Systems typically don't support that properly. However to give any sort
      of advice one needs a more specific question:

      How do your polygones vary?
      What do they represent?
      Do they overlap in space / in time / in spacetime?
      Are they polygons by nature or just areas approximated by polygons.
      What are the questions, you would like to ask your data?
      Do you have a polygon process consisting of many polygons or do you observe
      one individual polygon changing over time.
      Do your polygons change smoothly or discontinuesly.
      Are the polygons individuals or perculations?
      Do they form a coverage (i.e. is everything occupied)?
      Is there a map of relevant additional covariates?
      Is their any sort of representatitivty in the dataset?
      What is your personal background (no need of writing well known things to you)
      Are you writing a thesis on the theory of analysing polygons or do you work on
      a specific problem.

      Best regards,
      Gerald v.d. Boogaart

      Am Samstag, 29. Oktober 2005 02:12 schrieben Sie:
      > Dear List,
      >

      > Do any of you have experience/advice on spatiotemporal analysis of
      > polygon data? I've read about Sadahiro's methods
      > (http://okabe.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/okabelab/sada/docs/pdf/CSIS%20DP25.pdf )
      > on the subject and his ideas look promising to me, but I have not seen
      > them implemented anywhere, nor have I seen anything comparable. Has
      > anyone have experience with these or other methods for analyzing changes
      > in polygons over time?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > Colin Robertson
      >
      > MSc Candidate