      From: Harper, William V [mailto:WHarper@...]
      Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 8:43 AM
      To: Kathryn E.L. Smith; ai-geostats@...
      Subject: RE: [ai-geostats] kriging with 'walls'

      Kathryn,

      We (Isobel Clark and moi) have been dealing with such for some time - especially faults.  You specify the location of the fault or shoreline and the software will not consider pairs of points in the development of the semi-variogram that are located on opposing sides of this boundary.  Likewise it is properly handled in the subsequent kriging.  But 1st it is important to model the spatial variability structure properly prior to the subsequent estimation (kriging).  See http://geoecosse.bizland.com/softwares/ for demos to examine.  I hope this helps.

      Best,

      Bill

      --

      William V Harper, Mathematical Sciences

      Otterbein College, Towers Hall 139, 1 Otterbein College

      Westerville OH 43081-2006   USA

      Office phone: 614-823-1417     Office Fax 614-823-3201

      Faculty page: http://www.otterbein.edu/home/fac/WLLVHRPR

      For the best in geostatistics: http://geoecosse.hypermart.net/