2019Re: [ai-geostats] Re: Who is J. W. Merks???

  • WEIDONG LI
    Apr 30, 2005
      Hi,

      I think this man just wants to get more attention by making some noise.

      Geostatistics is the great contribution of geoscientists outside the
      mainstream of statistics to the science. I also ever met a reviewer.
      The guy never agree that parameters should estimated from correlated
      data.

      At the beginning of the development of kriging, I guess Professor G.
      Matheron must met lots of challenges. As Professor Journel pointed out,
      geostatistics does not pursue recognition of mainstream mathematics, it
      pursues recognition from practioners. It is great because it is useful.
      If just checking geostatistics purely from the view of conventional
      mathematics, there are lots of places to attack.

      But our understanding of geostatistics also should not stop on the
      conventional geostatistics. Geostatistics is also evolving. The recent
      proposed multi-point geostatistics is quite innovative. In addition,
      Markov chains are also evolving toward a new non-kriging geostatistics.

      Weidong Li
      University of Wisconsin
      Department of Geography
      550 North Park Street