1873Re: [ai-geostats] Regression vs. Kriging vs. Simulation vs. IDW

  • Digby Millikan
    Jan 5, 2005
      For ore resource modelling I've used IDW on a highly skewed lognormally
      distributed deposit, where no variograms could be produced. With lognormally
      distributed data often found in ore resources, having a good variogram is
      important, to avoid large errors in kriging hence it may be preferential to
      use
      IDW and a topcut. However if your data is not so highly skewed even
      approximating
      a variogram can provide superior results. I used to model topography
      surfaces
      and Kriging with a 'guessed' variogram produced good results compared to
      IDW which produced highly spiked and erroneous results.

      Digby
      www.users.on.net/~digbym
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic