1853[ai-geostats] Regression vs. Kriging vs. Simulation vs. IDW

  • Seumas P. Rogan
    Dec 31, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      I apologize if this question is too elementary for this list;
      I want to understand the key differences between linear regression,
      kriging, conditional simulation and other interpolation techniques such as
      IDW or splines in the analyses of spatial data. I would like to know the
      assumptions, strengths and weaknesses of each method, and when one method
      should be preferred to another. I browsed the archives and looked at some
      of the on-line papers, but they are written at a level beyond my own
      current understanding. It seems to me that this would be a great topic for
      the first chapter of an introductory spatial analysis textbook. Can anyone
      recommend any basic textbooks or references on this topic?
      Any assistance you can offer would be appreciated.

      Sincerely,

      Seumas Rogan
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic