1832RE: [ai-geostats] variogram analysis

  • Glover, Tim
    Dec 7, 2004
      Usually when I've seen a "wavy" semivariogram, it's because of a local
      feature superimposed over an existing field function - for instance, a
      release of mercury in a field of soil with very low "natural" mercury
      content. The period of the waviness is related to the distance across
      the feature (the width of the spill, in this case). Of course, this is
      nothing particularly earth-shattering, but useful none the less.

      I've used semivariograms like this in the past to "guestimate" the
      approximate size of a plume based on sparse data. Not all geostatistics
      ends up in gridding and estimating at every point! Sometimes just
      looking at the semivariogram is very useful.

      Tim Glover
      Senior Environmental Scientist - Geochemistry
      Geoenvironmental Department
      MACTEC Engineering and Consulting, Inc.
      Kennesaw, Georgia, USA
      Office 770-421-3310